"Bound" is only designed to be a few minutes long, yet it tackles an intensely complex and emotional subject. I only have the amount of time it takes the player to navigate to the track to give context; to invest the player in the character that they're controlling. So, I put a limitation on myself of a maximum of ten lines of introductory dialogue. This is enough to convey what I need, but not so much where the player feels like experiencing it is a slog. After beating my face repeatedly against my keyboard, here's the content that I came up with.
- "Do not under under any circumstances, wear for more than eight hours a day."
- "Do not wear during strenuous physical activity."
- That's what the package told me.
- Then, later when I googled it, the internet told me the same thing.
- So, I said "Fuck it!" and now I'm here. Where I went to middle school like... Eight years ago.
- Wearing this binder that I'm not supposed to and running shoes that I haven't touched since I came out.
- Everyday after lunch, I used to fly down this sidewalk and up those stairs to the track.
- My friends were never able to catch up with me so they would just lean back on the chain link fence and watch. Flashing me a thumbs up when I blew by.
- I want that again. So badly.